Sunday, September 11, 2011

Why Did I Choose Germany?

I have always dreamed about traveling abroad to Germany.  I am excited that the opportunity has arisen for me to live out this dream.  This is not my first time traveling outside of the United States. I have traveled to Canada and Mexico, and have been on five cruises to various islands in the Caribbean. However, I am ready for a new experience and the opportunity to embrace a new culture for two and a half weeks. I chose the Germany D-Term trip for many reasons. First, my ancestors are from Germany, so I wanted to go back to the country where my roots are to experience German culture. Second of all, I am a devout Lutheran, and am interested in studying Martin Luther further. I have grown up learning Luther as an important religious figure in the Lutheran religious history, but want to learn and experience more about the man who caused the Reformation from the Catholic Church.  Another reason why I chose Germany is because I took three years of German in high school. I am not fluent in speaking German, but am excited for the opportunity to get to use my knowledge of the language in its native country. I also chose this trip because my parents lived in Germany for three months a few years before I was born. My dad was there for business and my mom went along to experience a different culture. I have grown up hearing about the different places that my parents traveled to in Germany and the different experiences that they encountered while they were there.
I am excited to immerse myself into a different country’s culture. Out of all of my experiences traveling to other countries, I have not gotten the chance to step into another culture and experience the way that the country lives and view its history and current events around the world. I am looking forward to experiencing Germany in a way that I have not been able to before with other foreign countries by learning about its history and get a first-hand experience on German culture.
This D-Term trip to Germany is highly important to me. I have recently been offered an accounting position upon graduation to work at a global agribusiness.  Ironically enough, the company that I will be working for is the same business that my dad worked for when he spent a summer in Germany with my mom. With knowing this background, I hope to someday get to have the same experience of living in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment